Set minimum action time higher

Tell us what do you like to have in PokerTH
PocketNines

5 seconds is way too low and very bingo-ish. People need time to put proper bets and think a little about their actions. 10 seconds at the very least, ideally 20 seconds.
boehmi

Feel free to open a game with the settings you like. You can set it up to 60s. There are also BBC games in the evening

https://www.pokerth.net/viewforum.php?f=18
PocketNines

This is not an argument at all. Mostly because people want to play on a 5 seconds action time table for some reason. This is just objectively silly, it kills the game and changes poker into bingo, into "I have-I don't have".
With minimum time to act, they can still play as fast as they want while allowing people to make decisions. There's absolutely no bad consequences.

5 seconds to act is just so dumb, I don't know why I have to explain this.
boehmi

So what is your suggestion? Do you want to force players to chose a higher delay? If so, how?

I still think 5s is plenty of time. If you're not SB you have more time than 5s, because there are other players before you after you see each card. This gives you more time to think about your next move. There are also settings like "Switch keyboard focus to bet-input-field if it's your turn" which makes it easy to play with the keyboard only. You can quickly fold (F1), check (F2) or raise (F3) and if you want to raise more than the minimum amount, then you type in the amount and press Enter when it's your turn. That's what I do on my laptop. No mouse or touchpad required.

As I said, feel free to open your own table. If people want to play with these settings, the table will fill. If not, then it tells you that nobody wants it. Simples.
PocketNines

"5 seconds if plenty of time"
Again, it is not. Yes, if you're playing 50-100bb and you have a bunch of players behind, you know what to do. And even then, you may have to modify the ammount if there's one raiser and one caller, or two callers, or a raiser and three callers... and so on and so forth. With 5s, you barely have the time to put the right amount. But ok, I can take that.
Now, on the flop, things get hard, especially on a multiway pot. On the turn, even harder. And on the river, things can get really really nasty.

This 5 seconds minimum only benefits the bingo player, because again, YOU BARELY HAVE THE TIME TO BET. If you can't think, the game changes into "I have a weak hand, I bet small, I have a strong hand, I bet big, I have the nuts, I go all-in".

And yes, some may say I'm tryharding, but poker is not about "I have, I don't have". It's incredible that I have to point out something that obvious for the devs. This is the difference between making a good open-source poker client, one that has a minimum respect for the game... and a bad one.
sp0ck

PocketNines wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:58 pm It's incredible that I have to point out something that obvious for the devs. This is the difference between making a good open-source poker client, one that has a minimum respect for the game... and a bad one.
Just wow. Thx for this great opinion!

Feel free to develop some really good open source software where you can dictate a majority of people disrespecting their opinion, to do what you think is "obviously" the best. I'm curious how that will turn out. 🤣
blazerbob57

Good one sp0ck!!! :lol:
boehmi

TISM wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:44 pm Slightly off topic, but I think that what makes games seem quite "bingo-ish" (more than the action time) is the rapid acceleration in the size of the blinds. The last third or so of a game almost always turns into a crapshoot.

Would you consider adding some flexibility here.
The thing is that ranking games need to have fixed settings for that, otherwise the ranking will be not fair.