Favorite linux distro?

m1ke

Explain why it's your favorite. Mine's linux mint, because I like the general user interface (in the xfce and cinnamon versions), the ricing that has been done to the desktop environment (including the icon theme), it's debian/ubuntu based (apt forever) and that the system has a lot of useful software pre-installed. funny thing is my first distro was raspbian, i installed it on my raspberry pi with the help of my dad when I got my raspberry pi
Last edited by m1ke on Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
~ "Bite me!" - Uzi Doorman, 2021 ~
sp0ck

At the moment I am a huge fan of Manjaro on my office device and Arch linux (Steam OS) on my Steam Deck. Manjaro is based on Arch linux - so I nearly have the same environment on both devices - using KDE as Desktop environment.
For Servers I do use debian or ubuntu most of the time, as I do have most experience with apt based systems.

For desktops I did use XFCE and Gnome a lot in the past - but since 1-2 years it's KDE. I think it's just a matter of taste - and regarding XFCE a matter of hardware as XFCE is still best (regarding desktop comfort) for lower performance hardware like my raspberry Pi's ;)
Danek

Hi,

over the years I developed a real dislike for windows, but as I had no computer skills I had no choice :cry:
Then one day, I was told about Linux Mint: I bought a PC without OS and I installed Mint by myself without any difficulty. It was in 2012: since then I am happy to be free from W$ and I have absolutely no problem !

Mint is efficient, safe, intuitive and above all very easy to use for beginners or for people who just want their PC to work. There is a lot of free and powerful software available (more than at W$ I think) and I have never encountered compatibility problems with devices or software. Over time, I even understood that things were not so complicated: thanks to the community, I can manage with debian and I even want to try other distros for fun.

I use XFCE for my old laptop, but my favorite is cinnamon: for me it’s like cruising on a luxury yacht :D
dncnbear

I settled on Kubuntu early. Mint was just too much like windows. Starting with KU then test driving Mint/Cinnamon, Mint seem too dumbed down. Just disable the KDE Wallet in KU, to much of a pain in the a$$. I left around Windows7 and never looked back myself.

ironic i watched this today https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ffh3DRFzRL0
Have a grateful day.